Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chapter 3 - The Veiled Palanquin

Sometimes in life, small incidents set off a chain reaction which later leads to big momentous periods in one's life. One such small incident occurred in Vandiya Devan's life.

In the last chapter we saw him watching the procession of Pazhuvur soldiers. A little distance from where he was stood his horse. And this horse became the focus of attention of some of the Pazhuvur soldiers who were at the tail of the procession.

"Fellows! Look at that kurudai," said one soldier.

A horse is called kudirai in Tamil while in some dialects it is also called kurudai. Since this soldier called it a kurudai his friend corrected him and told that it must be called kudirai.

Another soldier interrupted saying, "Please stop your literary argument. First let's make sure whether this a horse or a donkey."

"Fine. Let me perform a little test," said one of the soldiers and tried to mount the horse. But the
horse wouldn't let him, knowing full well that he was not his master.

"What a roguish beast! It won't allow me to mount. Only a scion from a royal family can mount him. In that case a Mutharayan from Thanjavur should only come," said the soldiers while the others laughed.

The Cholas had destroyed the Mutharayan clan a hundred years ago. The Thanjavur fort came into the Cholas' possession only after the Mutharayans were destroyed.

"Thandavaraya, I don't think this horse is a real horse. It may belong to the false horse performance group," said one of the soldiers.

"Fine then. I will test that as well," said Thandavaraya and twisted the tail of the horse. The horse kicked and ran off.

"Hey the horse is running. It is a real horse," shouted the Pazhuvur soldiers and went after it.

The poor harassed horse ran right into the middle of the crowd, knocking people down in the market place.

"Did you see thambi? What those Pazhuvur rogues did? Why didn't you show some of your bravery here?" Azhvarkadiyan asked.

Vandiya Devan was already furious. On top of it he had to listen to this as well. But he watched everything patiently. Pazhuvur soldiers were many and he knew that it would be very unwise for him to start a fight with them. And after the horse bolted they too didn't hover around there.
Instead he went searching for the horse. He knew that it would stop after running for some time. He swore to himself that one day he would teach a lesson to the proud Pazhuvur soldiers.
He found his horse near an isolated place. He massaged its back and spoke soft words to it thus soothing its nerves. He turned the horse and came back towards the marketplace. Many gathered there asked him why he brought such a wild beast in the crowd. Before he could answer another one said that it was neither his mistake nor the horse's mistake. It was the mistake of the proud Pazhuvur soldiers.

He saw Azhvarkadiyan still standing at the roadside and wondered why he had not gone his way.

"Thambi, in which direction are you going?" he asked.

"Me? I am going in the Eastern direction and then West and then North and then Southwest…" said Vandiya Devan.

"I did not ask all that. Where are you staying tonight?" asked Azhvarkadiyan.

"Why are you interested in that?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"Nothing. Just wondering if you were staying in Kadambur Palace I have some work there," said Azhvarkadiyan.

"Hey! How did you know that I was planning to stay there?" asked Vandiya Devan surprised.

]"Why are you surprised? Today noble princes and representatives from all noble families in Chola Kingdom have come to Kadambur Palace including Periya Pazhuvetar. Since you looked quite new around here I thought you may also stay there," said the Nambi.

"Really?" asked Vandiya Devan, astonished. "Is Pazhuvetar going to stay in Kadambur Palace?"

"Of course How come you didn't know this? The procession that we saw was heading towards Kadambur. Not only that, all the horses, the palanquin and elephant that we saw were sent from Kadambur palace to honour Pazhuvetar. Wherever he goes he expects people to honour and respect him like this." Said Azhvarkadiyan.

Vandiya Devan started thinking whether he should go to Kadambur palace in the first place. But he could never get a chance to stay in the same place where Periya Pazhuvetar was. Who knew - maybe he could make acquaintance with this great warrior. But he couldn't forget what the Pazhuvur soldiers did to his horse just a little while ago.

"Thambi, I need a favour from you," said the Nambi in a very sweet voice.

"How can I help you? I am a stranger here," said Vandiya Devan.

"I am sure you can help me. Please take me along with you to Kadambur," said Azhvarkadiyan.

"Why? Is there a Saivite coming there? You want to debate who the Supreme God is for once and for all?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"No no! Do you think I just go around debating and fighting with others? Tonight there will be a big feast in Kadambur Palace. After that there will be kuravai koothu. I have always wanted to watch kuravai koothu. That's why I want to go there," said Azhvarkadiyan.

"Even if that is the case how can I take you?"

"You can say that I am your servant," said Azhvarkadiyan.

Vandiya Devan got a suspicion that Azhvarkadiyan was not telling him the truth. He thought
that there was an another reason for which the Nambi wanted to come along with him.

"I can't help you in this. If you want to lie and cheat to get to that place you better find somebody else. I don't need a servant like you. Even if I tell people that you are my servant they won't buy it. Now that you have told me all this I am wondering if they will allow me inside the palace," said Vandiya Devan.

"Oh! In that case you have not come here by invitation is it?" questioned Azhvarkadiyan.

"In a way I have an invitation. Kadambur Sambuvareyan's son Kandan Maran is my best friend. He invited me home if ever I come to this region," said Vandiya Devan.

"Great. In that case I don't think you can get into the palace easily today," said the Nambi.
Both started walking silently together.

"Why are you following me?" asked Vandiya Devan. "I can ask you the same question. Why are you following me? Why don't you go your way?" asked the Nambi.

"Problem is, I don't know the way. Where are you going? Is it Kadambur?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"No no. You have refused to take me there. How can I go? I am going to Vinnakara temple," said Azhvarkadiyan.

"Veeranarayana temple is it?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"Yes."

"I want to visit that temple too."

"I thought maybe you won't come to a Vishnu temple. Here the temple priest is a great devotee of Vishnu," said the Nambi and entered the temple.

"It's so crowded here. Is it a special day today?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"Today is the 18th day of the Aadi month along with it is also a special day for Aandal.

Thambi, have you heard any of Aandal's poems?" asked Azhvarkadiyan.

"No. I haven't," said Vandiya Devan.

"Don't. Please don't listen to them," said Azhvarkadiyan.

"Why not?"

"If you listen to them, you will throw away your sword and spear and fall in love with Krishna like me," said Azhvarkadiyan.

"Do you know any of Aandal's poems? Can you sing them?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"Sure, I will be singing them at the temple" said Azhvarkadiyan.

When they reached the temple, they saw that it was not very crowded. Standing at the sanctum santorium Azhvarkadiyan sang many Andal Pasurams. He saw tears streaming out of Nambi's eyes when he finished the song.

After the darshan they came out of the temple and Vandiya Devan apologized to Nambi he said,
"Swami, I didn't know you were such a big devotee. Please forgive me for making fun of you."

"I forgive you thambi. Will you help me now?" he asked.

"I told you that I can't help you to get into Kadambur and you accepted that," said Vandiya Devan.

"No. This is another matter. I will write a small note and give you. Can you pass it onto one person in Kadambur?" asked Nambi.

"Who?"

"To the lady in the veiled palanquin," said Nambi.

"Nambi. Who do you think I am? How dare you ask me to do such a job? If at all somebody else had said this…" started Vandiya Devan furiously.

"Thambi relax. If you don't want to do it you can happily go on your way. But if you had helped me with this I can help you with many other things at a latter date. But still it is okay."
Vandiya Devan immediately mounted his horse and rode towards Kadambur.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glossary

Aandal - a great poetess and saint, Aandal is one of the 12 Alwars of Vishnu. Kuravai koothu - a folk dance
palanquin - A Vehicle carried by men in which royal women travelled

No comments: