Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chapter 5 - Kuravai Koothu

After coming out of the anthapuram, Vandiya Deven and Kandanmaran heard a woman's voice calling out for Kandanmaran from inside.

"Mother is calling me. I will back in a second," he said and reentered the anthapuram.
Inside all the womenfolk seemed to be talking and laughing simultaneously. He heard a garble of voices questioning Kandanmaran who it seemed was finding it difficult to answer. Vandiya Devan thought that they were all laughing about him.

At last when Kandanmaran came out he said, "Come, I will show you around our palace."
While they were going Vandiya Devan asked, "Kandanmara, the second time you left me and went inside the anthapuram, the womenfolk seemed very enthusiastic. What is the matter? Are they very happy after seeing me?"

"They all liked you very much. But don't worry, they were not laughing at you."

"Then why were they laughing?" he persisted.

"You know this Pazhuvetar, at his age, married a young woman. He brought her here in a veiled palanquin. And he didn't even send her to the anthapuram. He keeps her locked in his own quarters. One of our servant maids claimed that she saw her from the window and was describing her beauty in the anthapuram. That is why they were all laughing. Each one of them is guessing which country she is from. And some thought that I might know something and asked me. They say that she might be from the Chera kingdom. Do you know that Pazhuvetar's ancestors are from the Chera kingdom?" asked Kandanmaran.

"Oh yes, I think you told me once. Kandanmara, when did Pazhuvetar marry this mysterious beauty?"

"About two years ago I think. Since then he has not left her alone even for a minute. He takes her everywhere in his veiled palanquin. All over the Chola kingdom people are ridiculing him for getting married to a young woman at this age. That is why the womenfolk here were also laughing."

"I don't believe that is the reason, Kandanmara. Shall I tell you the real reason behind your womenfolk's laughter? But please don't think that I am talking ill of them, the entire women's race is like that. The women in your family are dark-complexioned beauties whereas Pazhuvetar's beloved is fair-complexioned. That's why they don't like her. They are jealous," explained Vandiya Devan.

"My God! How do you know about her complexion? Have you seen her? When and how did you see her? If Pazhuvetar comes to know about this he will have your head!" said Kandanmaran.
"Kandanmara, you know very well that I am not scared about these things. And I haven't done anything that I shouldn't have. In Veeranarayanapuram when Pazhuvetar and his entourage came along I stood watching along with the crowd. I heard that you sent the entire procession of horses, elephants and soldiers. Is that true?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"That's right. So what?" asked Kandanmaran.

"Nothing. I was just comparing the welcome you gave him and the welcome I got here, that's all," Vandiya Devan said cheekily.

Kandanmaran laughed out loud and said, "Pazhuvetar got a welcome that befitted the treasurer of the kingdom. You got a welcome that befits a true warrior. Don't worry, tomorrow when you become the son-in-law of this family with God's grace, you will get another rousing welcome from all of us. Hey, you were telling me about Pazhuvetar's 'beloved wife' and we changed the subject. Tell me where did you see her?"

"I was watching Pazhuvetar's procession. When I saw Pazhuvetar on the gray elephant I was thinking that one day I should also become like him. After the elephant passed I saw a veiled palanquin. I was wondering who could be inside it when I saw a fair hand parting the veil and a fair face looked out. I just had a glimpse, that's all. Now that you told me about her I guess that woman must be Pazhuvetar's recent wife," Vandiya Devan said.

"Vandiya Deva, you lucky fellow! Do you know no man has laid eyes on that beautiful woman? At least you had a glimpse of her face. What is your guess? Which country do you think she is from?" asked Kandanmaran excitedly.

"At that point I didn't think about it. Now when I think back about her, I think she might be from the kingdom of Kashmir, Greece, or may be she is from Arabia. Do you know women in Arabia are veiled all the time?" said Vandiya Devan.

At that point they both heard sounds of conches and the beating of drums.

"What is that sound?" asked Vandiya Devan.

"The Kuravai Koothu is starting. Do you wish to watch it or would like to have dinner and sleep?"

"I have never watched Kuravai Koothu. I would like to watch," Vandiya Devan said, remembering Azhvarkadiyan. Both the friends went up to the stage and sat down in the last row of seats. The other noble guests had already assembled before the stage. The dancers (mostly women) came up on the stage wearing interesting costumes. They were wearing saffron-coloured robes with red flowers in their hair. They had also entwined the flowers around their hands and necks. The stage was decorated with paintings of the peacock, cock and spear, which are the holy symbols of Lord Muruga. The dancers began to dance and sing simultaneously about the exploits of Lord Muruga. After performing many a song they bowed low to the audience and left the stage.


Next came, 'Devaralan and Devaratti' who performed a war dance wearing blood red clothes. Both their eyes were bloodshot and even their mouth was red from chewing betel leaves and tobacco. The dance started slowly but gained momentum as Lord Muruga went about vanquishing his enemies. As the dance became wild, Devaratti left the stage and Devaralan danced away alone on the stage with vigorous movements.

It is a belief that sometimes when the dancers perform religious and ritualistic dances, the Gods possess them. The same happened here! As Devaralan's dance became wild the musicians stopped playing and a pujari stepped forward playing a hand drum. Devaralan was shaking from head to foot as if a spirit possessed him. The others in the audience whispered among themselves, "He has been possessed!"

The pujari then asked Devaralan, "Vela! Muruga! What is your divine message for your servants?"

"Ask me anything. I will tell you," Devaralan said.

"Will it rain this year? Will the kingdom prosper? Will we achieve our goals?" asked the pujari.

"Yes, it will rain. The kingdom will flourish; you will succeed in all your undertakings. But you will have to perform a sacrifice to my Mother. Durga demands a sacrifice."

"What sacrifice would she like?"

"Will you give whatever she asks for?" asked Devaralan.

"Yes, certainly," said the pujari.

"Her sacrifice should be of royal blood."

Hearing this all the noblemen exchanged meaningful looks. At this point Devaralan fainted. Devaratti then came on the stage and took him away, while everybody dispersed quietly.
Vandiya Devan was overwhelmed by a mixture of emotions. He heard a wolf howling somewhere outside the palace. When he looked in that direction he thought he saw Azhvarkadiyan's head on the wall! He shook his head and looked again - there was nothing there!

No comments: