Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Chapter 8 - Who is in the Palanquin?

The group fell silent for some time. Each one was murmuring among themselves, which Vandiya Devan couldn't hear.

After some time Sambuvereyar spoke up, "We cannot keep on discussing among ourselves the whole night. We have to find a solution to this problem?"

"First I have a doubt. And like me many others here in this group have the same doubt. We would like to clear this up with the Pazhuvur lord if doesn't get angry," said one of them.

"If I am not mistaken this is Vanangamudiyar right? Why don't come to the center here?" said Pazhuvetar.

Vanangamudiyar got up and came to the center where there was more light.

"I show all my anger in the battlefield not when I am with my friends. So feel free to ask me any doubt," said Pazhuvetar.

"In that case I will ask. You said that Sundara Chola asks the advice of women alone but many people say the same about you as well. Though I didn't believe it I would like to clear it up with you."

"Can you be more specific?"

"We all know that the Pazhuvur Lord got married two years ago…"

"Vanagamudiyaray! I forbid you bring this subject up. How can you embarrass our noble guest in this manner with unwanted questions like..." objected Sambuvereyar.

"Sambuvereyaray! Please be patient. Let Vanagamudiyar finish what he started. Yes, I agree after the age of 55 I got married to a woman. But I am not ashamed of it. I have never said that I am like Lord Rama to be content with one wife. I fell in love with her and she fell in love with me and we got married according to the ancient Hindu Shastra. Is this wrong?"

"No I never said that it was wrong. I don't think anybody here has only one wife. But…"

"But what? Don't hesitate please ask whatever doubt you have?"

"But people say that you listen to whatever your young wife says and follow her advice while taking important decisions related to the Kingdom. They also say that you take her along with you whereever you go."

At this point somebody laughed in the crowd. Because of the dim light and the dark shadows that the trees cast around they didn't know who had laughed in the group.

Sambuvereyar became furious and got up, "Who dared to laugh? Come forward and give an explanation."

"Sambuvereyaray! Relax, I only laughed," said Pazhuvetar. And then he said,

"Vanagamudiyaray! What is wrong is taking my wife along with me where ever I travel? I have always taken her along with me. But the rumour that I listen to her advice to conduct royal affairs is wrong. I have never done that…"

"Okay. In that case I would like to clear up one more doubt that I have. What is this Palanquin doing here? It should be in the anthapuram. Is somebody sitting inside it because I heard clanking of bangles?"

Everybody fell silent. This question was obviously running in everybody's mind.

"Right question! I am entitled to give a reply to this. But can I give you an answer at the end of this meeting? Do you all have that much faith in me?" said Pazhuvetar.

"Of course we do," said everybody simultaneously.

"Thank you my friends. So let us finish discussing what we started. Let Sundara Chola live for a long time but in case he dies like the astrologers and the physicians predict we will have to decide who should ascend the throne?"

"We would like to hear your opinion about this, my Lord. We will abide by your decision," said Sambuvereyar.

"That is not right. Each one of us will have to think and decide upon this. I would like to remind you about some old incidents that happened. We all know that Sundara Chola's uncle, the great King Kandaradithan, ascended the throne after King Paranthakan I. When he died 24 years ago his son Madhuranthakan was a one-year-old baby. Which is why we all agreed to crown Sundara Chola, Kandaradithar's nephew as the next king. And Sundara Chola has been a good King to all of us until of course two years ago when he fell ill. He has been loved by the people for bringing in prosperity and peace in the Chola Kingdom. But now that he is ill who should ascend the throne next? Who has more rights, Sundara Chola's son or Kandaradithar's son? Think and tell me, Should it be Kandaradithar's son Madhuranthakan who has attained the right age and is acclaimed as a great devotee of Lord Shiva just like his father or should it be Aditya Karikalan who is Sundara Chola's son. Think and tell me."

"Madhuranthakan should ascend the throne. He is the rightful heir," said Sambuvereyar.

After he said that many others followed and agreed to what he said.

"If you all feel that Madhuranthakan is the rightful heir then we all must work towards establishing his royal rights. We should be ready to pledge our life for him. Are we ready to do that?" asked Pazhuvetar.

The crowd fell silent again. After some time, Sambuvereyar spoke, "We are ready to pledge our lives for Madhuranthakan but we want to be clear about one thing before we do that. What does Prince Madhuranthakan want? Does he wish to ascend the throne after Sundara Chola? Is he ready to take the responsibility of this great kingdom? All that we have heard about him is that he has renounced this worldly life and is forever involved in his devotion towards Lord Shiva. He himself has publicly declared that he has no wish to be the King. And we also know that his respected mother Periyapirati Sembiyanmadevi does not wish her son to ascend the throne, which is why she has brought him up to be an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva."

"Correct question. I am obliged to clear this doubt. I should have spoken about this earlier but I forgot. I am sorry. It is true that Sembiyanmadevi does not wish her son to ascend the throne, which is why she had deliberately kept him away from the affairs of the kingdom and involved him in religious work. But not many people know the reason as to why she did that. She feared that if he ascended the throne or even wished to ascend the throne his life would be in danger. Wouldn't a mother wish that her only son be alive rather than risk dying in trying to be the king? Prince Madhuranthakan indulged her in this wish for the past 25 years and involved himself completely in religious work. But off late he has been feeling this Chola Kingdom belongs to him and that he has to take up the responsibilities that come along with it. If he comes to know to know that you are all ready to support him he is willing to come out in open and declare his right to the throne," said Pazhuvetar.

"Is that true? Is there any proof for this?" asked one of the noblemen.

"I will provide you with a proof that will satisfy all of you. At the same time I will also clear Vanangamudiyar's earlier doubt," said Pazhuvetar and walked towards the veiled palanquin.
He stood near the palanquin and said, "My dear Prince, it is time for you to come out and meet your loyal allies who are ready to fight until death for your royal rights over the Chola throne."
Vandiya Devan cautiously looked down from the terrace. He saw the same fair hand parting the veils but what he had assumed to be lady's bangles was actually a long bracelet that royal princes wear. The next instant 'a beautiful prince' had come out of the palanquin.

"This is King Kandaradithan's son Madhuranthakan. Since he came in a palanquin I had assumed that he was woman. Even Azhvarkadiyan made the same mistake," thought Vandiya Devan. He looked up to see whether Azhvarkadiyan was still hanging from the wall but couldn't see anything because of the dark shadows.

By then, everybody had started cheering, "Long live Prince Madhuranthakan!" "Long Live Lord Pazhuvetar!" below. Vandiya Devan felt that it might be dangerous to be there so he made his way back to his bed.

No comments: